[CentOS] yum provides on centos 5.2

Stewart Williams lists at pinkyboots.co.uk
Thu Aug 28 17:27:02 UTC 2008

Tony Schreiner wrote:
> Jerry Geis wrote:
>> I am trying things like "yum provides alsamixer" on centox 5.2 i386
>> and x86_64
>> also "yum provides vi"
>> "yum provides gvimdiff"
>> "yum provides dumpiso"
>> "yum provides uname"
>>
>> All of these return "no matches found"
>>
>> is something broke???
>>
>> These are just examples. I was trying to do "yum provides xf86Modes.h"
>> it returns no matches also.
>>
>> Jerry
> For files try
>
> yum provides '*/vi'
> etc...
>
> I think this is new behavior for yum
>
> Tony Schreiner

I recently discovered this "feature" in a thread on fedora-list[1].

I did mention that maybe the yum manpage ought to be updated to inform
the user, as I always wondered why it never worked for me until I saw
the post. Although I knew that globs could be used with certain yum
commands, I wasn't aware you needed to use them with this one.

[1] http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhl-list/2008-August/msg00884.html