[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing, Dual Layer DVD)

David G. Miller

dave at davenjudy.org
Fri Aug 29 14:24:41 UTC 2008

Scott Silva <ssilva at sgvwater.com> wrote:

> on 8-28-2008 4:15 PM William L. Maltby spake the following:

>> > PIKER! I've mobos still running (when I fire 'em up). Although I'm
>> > seriously considering ditching the 386SX with Win 3.11. Don't find any
>> > reason to fire it up anymore.
>> >
>> > Hell, even at my age I've got more memory left than it ever had!  :-))

> I don't think I kept anything lower than a 486. You never know if you might
> need it!

One of my projects of the moment is to get rid of all of the old
motherboards and systems in my basement.  I'm thinking I'll keep one
working system/MB that has ISA slots.  Not sure which one yet but
probably either the Pentium or a K6/2 550Mhz.  I've got W2K running in a
qemu virtual machine on my current desktop so I'm guessing I can get any
older versions of Windows working if I have to.  I just can't virtualize
an ISA slot if the need arises.

A few things hanging around the basement I *won't* part with though as
part of this clean up:

- A still shrink wrapped copy of Windows/386 (media is 5.25 inch floppies)
- A true blue (IBM logo) PC-AT (6 MHz 80286) with a full height 30MB
hard drive and 1MB of RAM, DOS 3.3.

Also, I've still got at least one punch card from my college days (Ohio
State in the late '70s).  I usually hang it on my cubicle wall when I'm
working a regular gig.  Most of the kids have never seen one before.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce