[CentOS] Help using ed [OT]

Thomas Johansson

thomasj at isy.liu.se
Sun Aug 31 17:45:32 UTC 2008

Hi

Perhaps omeone might answer this tricky problem. I can do this other
ways, but i really want to understand how to solve it using ed. I have
one solution using g/re/s/re//txt/ , but I want to understand how or if
i can solve it using the ed (.)a command.

A script i have parse several files and append text after a specific
text is matched. If one file do not have this text, i get a no match and
the script terminates. How can I avoid this behavior keeping the
original coding style for ed and append text. I have tried tried but
still cannot get it correct using (.)a. Is it even possible to do it
that way using the (.)a command?

Thanks in advance
Thomas

code example that give a "no match". Fairly easy to read and understand

example 1:
-----------
for RFILE in $RLIST; do
ed - RFILE <<- EOF
     /\[matching_text_1\]/a
     This is the appended textline(s) for text1
     .
     /\[matching_text_2\]/a
     This is the appended textline(s) for text2
     .
EOF
done

Another example that solve the above problem. But this example become
very easy unreadable if the appended text is long and/or includes
linebreaks.

Example 2:
for RFILE in $RLIST; do
ed - $RFILE << EOF