[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

Sun Aug 31 18:07:21 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
>> I still have a Tandy 4000, 386-16 no cache, that is used occassionally to
>> program EPROMS.  This same machine ran Xenix for years before being abused
>> by installing DR-DOS on it.
>>
>> I have a Radio Shack Model 100, the first laptop, in the closet beside an
>> HP-97 programmable calculator.
>
> Well, all I have that foes back that far is a 2nd gen IBM PC (the 64k
> m/b) that would probably work if I knew where any of my 360k MS-DOS
> floppies were.
>
> Wait, I have a Pascal Microengine in the garage that I never did get
> to boot!  You know, the ones that ran on the 8" floppies, like the old
> Teraks we used at UCSD?

8" floppies. Now that does bring back a memory for me. I was working
on a project in Texas. The customer was in Kentucky as I recall.
I fixed a problem and gave an 8" floppy to our Shipping department, to
send to the customer. The customer called me on the phone, to
inform me that the floppy had been bent, so it would fit into the box.
As I recall, it did work, after he straightened it out. For the rest
of the time that I worked there, I packed things myself, before they
were shipped, and that wasn't my job. I couldn't believe someone in
the Shipping department was that stupid.