[CentOS] Re: Curmudgeoning (was Re: Problems with writing Dual Layer DVD)

Sun Aug 31 19:22:32 UTC 2008

On Sun, Aug 31, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 31, 2008, Lanny Marcus wrote:
>>On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 7:35 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:27 PM, Bill Campbell <centos at celestial.com> wrote:
<snip>
>>> Wait, I have a Pascal Microengine in the garage that I never did get
>>> to boot!  You know, the ones that ran on the 8" floppies, like the old
>>> Teraks we used at UCSD?
>>
>>8" floppies. Now that does bring back a memory for me. I was working
>>on a project in Texas. The customer was in Kentucky as I recall.
>>I fixed a problem and gave an 8" floppy to our Shipping department, to
>>send to the customer. The customer called me on the phone, to
>>inform me that the floppy had been bent, so it would fit into the box.
>>As I recall, it did work, after he straightened it out. For the rest
>>of the time that I worked there, I packed things myself, before they
>>were shipped, and that wasn't my job. I couldn't believe someone in
>>the Shipping department was that stupid.
>
> Never underestimate the level of stupidity/ignorance of people (after all
> most of the were ``educated'' in government schools :-).
>
> When I first encountered a customer who had disk drive problems such that
> we replaced the 8in drives in their Radio Shack Model II several times, it
> wasn't until I went on-site to find that they were storing their floppies
> by sticking them to the file cabinet with refrigerator magnets.  The
> amazing thing to me was that I found that this was a fairly common problem.
>
> Then there was the person who stapled the floppy to a cover letter.

LOL.  The customer in Kentucky was very good. We shipped the system to
them in a moving van (and we prayed it wouldn't be involved in
an accident or fire) and they installed it. I never had to go down
there. He probably hasn't forgotten the bent floppy either. Attaching
the floppies with magnets is also very good.....   :-)