[CentOS] Bonding and network cards

David Hrbáč hrbac.conf at seznam.cz
Mon Dec 1 12:04:19 UTC 2008

Ralph Angenendt napsal(a):
> That is strange. But you shouldn't be needing mii, use_carrier should be
> working with modern cards - if they come up at once.
>
> I have bonding on 2 Broadcom NetXtreme II BCM5708 1000Base-T where the
> card takes so long to come up that the bonding driver assumes the wrong
> link mode (100baseT instead of 1000baseT).
>
> But those cards do work with miimon (which uses miitool and/or ethtool).

OK, I'm gonna test it with use_carrier. I have been playing with
arp_ip_target and miimon without luck.

>From documentation: 'It is critical that either the miimon or
arp_interval and arp_ip_target parameters be specified, otherwise
serious network degradation will occur during link failures.  Very few
devices do not support at least miimon, so there is really no reason not
to use it.'

And as to MII, ethertool on all netcard but old 3com shows no support
for MII. And as to bonging I want to get 802.3ad working.
Thanks,
DH