[CentOS] USB or PCI dialup modem supported by Centos

Lanny Marcus

Mon Dec 1 16:10:50 UTC 2008

> On Wed, Nov 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Nicholas <nicholas at oscc.org.my> wrote:
>> Places like where I am, cell phone charges are very high if connection is
>> for longer periods. I've got a USB Thundercom modem but could not get it
>> connected to go online.
>>
>> A list of modems, (might be outdated) can be found at
>> http://www.linuxsecurity.com.br/info/unix/winmodem.html
>>
>> Ramon Nieto wrote:
>>>
>>> That sounds cool, i haven't thought using a cell phone instead a modem and
>>> a landline.
<snip>
Ramon: Last night, I found the answer, for you and for me, if: (a)
Your local GSM cell phone operator(s) have 3G HSDPA service available
to your location and (b) If you can get a 3G HSDPA Ethernet Modem,
like the Netgear MBM621, which is not sold in North America. Here's a
link to a review of that Modem:
<http://www.trustedreviews.com/networking/review/2007/12/15/Netgear-MBM621-HSDPA-Modem-Preview/p1>
I believe they are sold in the UK and probably in other countries too.
How you and I can get one, I don't know at this time. This is probably
better than WiMAX. HTH! Lanny