[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Tue Dec 2 00:57:26 UTC 2008

> Not getting Xen into the kernel earlier is going to be Xen's downfall.

XEN will never make into the kernel. Period. I never paid any attention
to Xen but I had to lately for get Windows virtualized for new Centos
desktops here at the school. What is the first thing that Centos 5 loaded?

The XEN kernel. Then the Linux guest in dom-0.

I was dismayed. Why was Linux running on top of XEN?

Now, I know why. I found this:

http://blog.codemonkey.ws/2008/05/truth-about-kvm-and-xen.html

XEN is not a Linux solution. For this reason, I am glad that Redhat
bought KVM and will further develop this proper Linux solution to
virtualization on Linux rather than depending on a third-party for
virtualization. Good riddance XEN.

No more worries about getting XEN compatible drivers for accelerated
desktops while running a Windows HVM guest.

So I will be kissing Centos 5 bye bye for the school desktops and
switching to Ubuntu Hardy. When RHEL6 and therefore Centos 6 comes out,
hopefully I can come back to Centos...