[CentOS] OpenChrome video driver for Centos

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 2 18:10:36 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> Since my OQOs have the CX700M2 chip and there are listed enhancements
>> for this chip in the 903 version, I would really like to get it...
>>

> excellent, this gives you an opportunity to move from being only a
> community-consumer, to a community contributor.

well, I do have a few contributions. I do have everything to get
Freemind 0.8.1 working on Centos. I had to pull together a number of
pieces for that. Of course, who wants Freemind...

But I have been working very hard of late on HIPL (HIP for Linux), doing
the Centos testing for the HIPL team. Just need a place to put them. I
would really like to get the IPsec BEET mode patch working in the 2.6.18
kernel already. A large part of installing FC10 was to get BEET 'native'
in the 2.6.27 kernel. I figure if I can show HIPL working in FC10, I can
get a bug report into Redhat to get the BEET patch included in 2.6.18.
This will probably take me a couple months to pull off. Along the way, I
am working on getting the BEET Internet Draft finished as an RFC, and
moving the HIP RFCs from Experimental to Standards track (this will
probably take 6 months).

Along the way, I am finding ALL sorts of challenges. Particularly since
I am sticking to IPv6. So I find that gFTP crashes over IPv6 using SSH,
and no response to this problem from the gFTP developers.
SIP-Communicator is finally supporting IPv6. It may be a 'forget it' for
IPv6 and vnc, but TightVNC has been demonstrated to run via LSIs over
HIP over IPv6 (LSI is IPv4 equiv addresses for v4 apps in HIP). Found
out, though that there is no TightVNC for FC10 yet, and may not be until
FC11 according to one wiki.

So I am having 'fun' here. Too much cruft to plow through. I SHOULD only
be working with HIPL right now, but there is so much surronding stuff to
sort out as well, mostly IPv6 related.

> start by looking at the code, where it came from, who are the people
> involved with it, who is writing it, who is releasing it, then work out
> what the requirements for the software are, and if centos provides those
> requirements. once you have that info - make a decision or talk to
> people on options, and follow one through.

First I ask to see if anyone else knows about what is available. Maybe
my search terms are missing. Next I get on their mailing list and ask
around there. Then I queue this up with all the other tasks surronding
my HIPL project and see where it will fall in....