[CentOS] RAID 1 Post Install

Kenneth Burgener kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Tue Dec 2 18:38:52 UTC 2008

Kai Schaetzl wrote:
> Does this "Silicon Image SATA controller" not include Hardware RAID by
> chance?

Silicon Image... good old Fake RAID.

To use the Silicon Image Fake RAID you will need to reboot and enter the
Silicon Image BIOS, where you can configure the RAID settings there.
Once the RAID is initialized, then you can format it within the OS.

I would recommend against this though.  You should use mdadm as
recommended previously, as Linux Sofware RAID beats out Fake RAID in
compatibility, portability, and performance.

As far as a GUI partitioner, other than the Disk Druid when only appears
during installation, I haven't found any that are included in the CentOS
repositories.

You might want to try:
 * gparted (Gnome Partition Editor) [1]
 * qtparted (Graphical frontend for parted) [2]

Both of which you can obtain the RPMs from DAG.

Kenneth

[1] http://dag.wieers.com/packages/gparted/
[2] http://dag.wieers.com/packages/qtparted/