[CentOS] OpenChrome video driver for Centos

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Tue Dec 2 19:27:45 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> well, I do have a few contributions. I do have everything to get
>> Freemind 0.8.1 working on Centos. I had to pull together a number of
>> pieces for that. Of course, who wants Freemind...
>>

> freemind mostly just worked for me, download and run sort of. did you
> need to do much more ? Although i am using Sun's JRE for this ( and a
> bunch of things like talend )

I had a yell of a time getting all the dependencies met when I built
this 5.2 system.

>> But I have been working very hard of late on HIPL (HIP for Linux), doing
>> the Centos testing for the HIPL team. Just need a place to put them.
>>

> Why not into CentOS ? Over the last few weeks, weve spoken about a
> slightly more open centos-contribs making a comeback. this sort a thing
> would fit in there perfectly.

I would love to do this. Right now you have to run HIPL in userspace,
because of the ipsec BEET mode issue. I need to find time to get the
patch to the 2.6.18 kernel working, and then to keep it current...

>> Along the way, I am finding ALL sorts of challenges. Particularly since
>> I am sticking to IPv6. So I find that gFTP crashes over IPv6 using SSH,
>> and no response to this problem from the gFTP developers.
>>

> people still use ftp ? :D

gFTP has an option to use scp (or whatever the file transfer over SSH is
called). It works just fine over IPv4 as a nice GUI tool to an SSHD. But
it just crashes when you run it over IPv6. I would really like to have a
GUI for SSH file transfers over IPv6.

>> So I am having 'fun' here. Too much cruft to plow through. I SHOULD only
>> be working with HIPL right now, but there is so much surronding stuff to
>> sort out as well, mostly IPv6 related.
>>

> there have been a fair few people asking around about ipv6, I wonder if
> now is a good time to get some sort of a group together for that. eg.
> the state issues around iptables/ipv6 could do with some traction
> anytime now.

Count me in. I have LOTS that is not working. Also such joys as ignoring
TTLs and keeping dns resolutions cached (which kills testing native IPv6
to the app over HIP).

One thing I am working with is a 'test' IPv6 dns domain. I now have the
pieces to bring up a copy of BIND on a system that will be a caching
server for the test system and provide a .test TLD for working out
IPv6ish challenges.

>> First I ask to see if anyone else knows about what is available. Maybe
>> my search terms are missing. Next I get on their mailing list and ask
>> around there. Then I queue this up with all the other tasks surronding
>> my HIPL project and see where it will fall in....
>>

> cool, I'd be happy to help with things from this side, if you need anything.

I build new RPMs fairly regularly (the HIPL project uses TLA for getting
the source). Right now I have them on my local repo.