[CentOS] Stop the FUD Xen is not deprecated

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu Dec 4 00:42:19 UTC 2008

Matej Cepl wrote:
> On 2008-12-03, 00:41 GMT, Christopher Chan wrote:
>> This is not a matter of preferring Ubuntu.  It is one of NO
>> CHOICE. I know next to nothing about Debian/Ubuntu
>> configuration files nor am I familiar with dpkg or apt as I am
>> with rpm and yum. You think I want to move over for fun?
>
> I am certainly missing something here -- you are familiar with
> the Red Hat world and thus when you need desktops you choose
> Ubuntu? Have you heard about Fedora? Fedora 10 was released just
> now, and I think (given Qumranet is now part of Red Hat) it
> should have pretty good support for kvm.
>
> What do I miss?

Maybe the fact that I and many here use Centos because we do not want to
have to upgrade every six months?

Hardy is LTS. I won't be rolling out Intrepid.

I am not uber mad about keeping to what is familiar if all I have to do
is man dpkg/apt-get a few more times or familiarize myself with a weirdo
network configuration file. What would you pick? Learn a few new
commands/configuration files or have to prep up a new desktop rollout
every six months?

I have already gone with OpenSolaris Indiana for file servers using
samba, zfs + zfs|nfs4 acls/snapshots and the initial pain of getting
used to a new environment is more or less over and this was about six
months ago. But then, this is only because Indiana upgrades are pretty
painless and I do not need anything special besides what is provided in
the stock repo.

I believe in using the right tool for the job. So I might pick OpenBSD
for a firewall over Linux depending on what needs to be on firewall/nat
gateway.

RHEL/Fedora is not the ultimate answer for everything although we'd like
it to be...but I guess complaining here won't do any good. :-P