[CentOS] GRUB Timeout problem

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Dec 4 05:27:06 UTC 2008

Mark Snyder wrote:
> I recently installed CentOS 5.1 on a DL71 ASI notebook.
>
> After my yum update the timeout parameter in /boot/grub/grub.conf file
> has no effect.  It sits at the grub screen forever unless I press the
> enter key to select a kernel, at which point it will boot.
>
> Any help or suggestions to fix this would be much appreciated
>
> CentOS release 5.2 (Final)
> Kernel 2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 on an i686
>
> # grub.conf generated by anaconda
> #
> # Note that you do not have to rerun grub after making changes to this file
> # NOTICE:  You have a /boot partition.  This means that
> #          all kernel and initrd paths are relative to /boot/, eg.
> #          root (hd0,0)
> #          kernel /vmlinuz-version ro root=/dev/hda3
> #          initrd /initrd-version.img
> #boot=/dev/hda
> default=0
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> hiddenmenu
> title CentOS (2.6.18-92.1.18.el5)
>         root (hd0,0)
>         kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.18.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>         initrd /initrd-2.6.18-92.1.18.el5.img
> title CentOS (2.6.18-53.el5)
>        root (hd0,0)
>        kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-53.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
>        initrd /initrd-2.6.18-53.el5.img
> ~
> ~
> "grub.conf" 21L, 725C

The NOTICE generated by anaconda indicates a separate /boot partition.
Be sure that you are editing the grub/grub.conf file that is in your
boot partition (hda1) and not a similar, but superfluous, file that
you find under /boot in your root filesystem when your /boot partition
is not mounted.

                 Do NOT delete it.