[CentOS] --=Getting OTer by the sec=-- Web Filter

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Fri Dec 5 23:57:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-12-05 at 15:47 -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 2:02 PM, William L. Maltby
> <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > On top of all that, I'm relatively inexperienced at that stuff and am
> > not sure what all is meant by a content filter. From my ignorant POV,
> > being able to stop connections from/to certain sites _seemed_ seemed to
> > fall within that capability. Of course my whole "unnerstaning" of that
> > is based on casual hearing of things like "Parental Controls", blocking
> > access to/from sites, etc.
> >

> An old-timer like you and you don't know what content filtering is?
> Oh, where have you been, Billy-boy, Billy-boy?

I've been to see my ... OOPS!

In reality, I was/am a "backroom" guy that got out of heavy involvement
in programming stuff before the WWW became "all the rage". Needless to
say, never got into all the "fancy doo-dads". Further, absolutely no
interest at all in UI stuff - it's was always a pain during design phase
because of the endless nit-picking over placement, size, colors,
fonts, ... "Give me a break" was the phrase with which I would usually
leave the meeting. It never caused much stir because of the way I was
perceived.

> As easily as I can depict it, it's where offensive (to the
> admin/enterprise/censor) subject matter, such as porn or foul
> language, gets analyzed by the filter and access allowed or denied
> based on that, not necessarily the IP address or URL.  A "good" CBF
> will let you go to playboy.com, but you wouldn't be able to see any of
> the pictures within.
>
> For example, the Clinton White House page was caught by Net Nanny (and
> possibly others) because it mentioned that Bill and Hillary were a
> couple (as in married) - because, "couple" as a verb has sexual
> connotations and the filter couldn't tell the difference.
>
> Comprenez-vous, monsieur?

Oui.

> > My humble apologies if what I posted was just noise.
> >

> Isn't it always?  <RBFG>

You been listening to my wife?  ;-)

> mhr
>
> (Oh, yeah, end of leg-pulling here, for sure. :-)

Good thing - I got used to both being the same length.

--
Bill