[CentOS] New to Centos and have question about updating packages

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Mon Dec 8 14:10:19 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-08 at 22:51 +1100, Amos Shapira wrote:
> 2008/12/8 William L. Maltby <CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com>:
> > Often, in a desktop environment, just a telnet 3, telnet 5 command
>
> You probably mean "telinit 3" and "telinit 5".

Yep. My fingers (or brain) slurred that one! :-(

> But we are talking to a veteran of FreeBSD so he probably knows such
> stuff already, shouldn't he?

You'd be surprised. A lot just do init, which is also correct. I don't
know why there was ever a distinction though. AFAICR, telinit has always
been a link (hard or soft) to init. I've never looked into the code to
see if argv[0] causes any change in code execution.

--
Bill