[CentOS] Logwatch - Dovecot logs

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Dec 9 21:31:38 UTC 2008

Mohan wrote on Tue, 09 Dec 2008 12:10:43 +0000:

> dovecot doesnt log anything to /var/log/secure. its a default centos 4.4
> installation. All dovecot messages are logged to /var/log/messages.

well, I see some going also to secure, those which fail. Maybe not on
CentOS 4, though. But this kind of format is the same on CentoS 5.
I'm not sure what this kind of login is but when I check myself I get

 dovecot-auth: pam_unix(dovecot:auth): authentication failure; logname=
uid=0 euid=0 tty=dovecot ruser= rhost=::ffff:127.0.0.1

Look at the end.
But I also see other failed logins (not from me) without the host.
I think you should investigate further on the dovecot list.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany