[CentOS] Cannot mount samba shares

Ralph Angenendt

ra+centos at br-online.de
Wed Dec 10 16:50:19 UTC 2008

Hi,

quick(?) question: Has anybody seen that problem below? More important
question: Did anybody solve that?

This is my smb.conf (well, only the most important parts):

[global]
    workgroup = FOOBAR
    server string = My Server
    map to guest = Bad User
    preferred master = No
    local master = No
    domain master = No
    dns proxy = No

[on3]
    comment = Audio-Video-Imports
    path = /local/mir/import/on3
    force group = users
    read only = No
    create mask = 0664
    directory mask = 0775
    guest ok = Yes

The path has:

drwxrwxr-x  3 mir users 4096 10. Dez 16:35 /local/mir/import/on3/

Meaning: group users and user mir are allowed to write in there. Works
fine from windows clients. Guest user gets mapped to "nobody".

Doesn't work from linux:

[root at shutdown ~]# mount -t cifs -o user=nobody,guest //mir-qs/on3 /mnt/tmp/
mount error 13 = Permission denied
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

root at mir-qs:~# uname -a ; rpm -q samba
Linux mir-qs.br.de 2.6.9-78.0.8.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 19 20:05:04 EST
2008 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
samba-3.0.28-0.el4.9.i386

Machine is up to date.

Error message on the server is

make_connection: connection to on3 denied due to security descriptor.

Googling around led me to the belief that someone fooled around with
srvmgr.exe from a windows machine and that I should remove
/var/cache/samba/share_info.tdb and restart samba. Which doesn't work.

Now if I take out the "force group = users" everything works as
expected. Except that I cannot write in this share - nobody isn't in the
group users.

I don't want to add nobody to the group users, nor can I go and change
anything on that server regarding users and groups in the file system.

Ah yes, smbclient works fine, but I really do not want to use that
either.

Cheers,

Ralph