[CentOS] Watchdog process?

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Dec 11 21:18:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 21:48 +0100, Alexander Farber wrote:
> Can't you just add an entry to /etc/inittab?
>
> This worked well for me
>
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Greg Bailey <gbailey at lxpro.com> wrote:
> >> Is there a generic built-in way on CentOS to overlook that a specific
> >> process is alive and re-spawn it (or just run a configured command)
> >> when it dies?

He wants to be able to kill it and not have it respawn. That throws a
little glitch into the process.

If it were me (and no package was suitable), a little bash script that
starts it off in a while loop, waits on the child, checks a switch
(maybe in a file created by another little bash script that he invokes
when desired) that says "STOP" or some-such. If the switch doesn't say
that, starts the process again. If it says stop, exits and maybe leaves
a message or sends mail that a stop was requested.

All told, about 20 lines of script or so.

But reading the bash man page, if you're not already familiar with bash,
may be a PITA.

IIRC, some others have suggested some packages already that will do what
the OP wants.

--
Bill