[CentOS] URGENT: libdvdcss install hosed /var [SOLVED]

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 08:02:30 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 4:35 PM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-12-11 at 16:14 -0800, MHR wrote:
>> I found it - there has to be a /var/lib/nfs directory with a few
>> subdirectories under it.  Once I had created them all, I could run
>> rpc.statd, and that unfroze everything.
>>
>> Thanks to all, esp. Bill for mentioning rpc - that was the clue for me.
>
> Thanks I needed that! You know that one "Aw Shit" wipes out 1000 "'Atta
> Boys". Now I have one in the bank - 999 to go!  ;-)

So, like an idiot, after I had everything back up and running, I tried
it again.  It _couldn't_ happen twice.

It didn't.  The second time it trashed the root file system.  I
managed to save the one hierarchy I needed the most, and tomorrow I'm
reinstalling from scratch.

Live and learn - I hope....

mhr