[CentOS] Problems compiling PostgreSQL package from FC8 on CentOS 5

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Tue Dec 16 11:09:33 UTC 2008

Peter Hopfgartner wrote:
> Pintér Tibor wrote:
>
>> http://yum.pgsqlrpms.org/reporpms/repoview/pgdg-centos.html
>>
> Hey, this would save me a lot of time. Do they differ significantly from
> the Fedora/RedHat packages for things like directory layout and default
> configuration?

nope, identical directories, almost exact same configurations, just the
various newer releasaes of postgres, plus compatbility libraries so the
RHEL components that are linked to libpq.so remain happy (php-pgsql, etc)

of course, like any version of postgres, you can't upgrade 8.1 to 8.3 or
whatever without first doing a pg_dumpall and a restore on the new version