[CentOS] sendmail outbound help needed

Chris Boyd cboyd at gizmopartners.com
Tue Dec 16 16:35:38 UTC 2008

On Dec 16, 2008, at 3:10 AM, Gopinath Achari wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> 			I want to set up a sendmail server on Centos 5.2 Pc. This server
> should be
> able to send and receive mails outbound. i have purchased a domain
> name. can
> you help on this.

The classic outline is here:

http://www.sendmail.org/tips/virtualHosting

Other things that you will want to do:

Make sure that your server uses a valid domain name in the HELO/EHLO.

Make sure that the valid domain name maps back to the IP address of
your server.

Make sure that the PTR record for your IP address matches your valid
domain name.

Otherwise you'll find that people will defer and/or reject your
emails.  If you cannot get your config set up like this, then you will
probably want to relay your email via your upstream ISP's smarthost.

--Chris