[CentOS] vim helpfile tag issues

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Dec 17 04:42:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 16 Dec 2008, Filipe Brandenburger wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 22:12, Spiro Harvey <spiro at knossos.net.nz> wrote:
>> Just wondering if anyone can replicate this issue....
>>
>> if I try and access the help files direct (as root), such as ":help
>> tutor" I get:
>>
>> If I press enter, it shows me what appears to be the output of a binary.
>
> This is a bug long known to me (I never bothered to open a bug report
> for it though).
>
> "vim" has a plug-in to open compressed files, however in compatible
> mode (which is the mode used when you call "vi" or if you don't have
> the alias set) the plug-in is not loaded, so it cannot open the
> helpfiles properly.
>
> Never found a good workaround other than using "vim" explicitely.

I just set the alias. Yes I understand all of the don't work as root
stuff but when you have to work as root you might as well have all of
the best tools for the job.

The easiest way to set the alias is to comment out the following 2
lines in /etc/profile.d/vim.sh

#[ -x //usr/bin/id ] || return
#[ `//usr/bin/id -u` -le 100 ] && return

They are lines 2 and 3 in the file as shipped by Red Hat and Centos.

HTH,

Tom Diehl		tdiehl at rogueind.com		Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com