[CentOS] Bug - Error: Missing Dependency: libgaim.so.0 is needed by package nautilus-sendto

Kenneth Burgener

kenneth at mail1.ttak.org
Wed Dec 17 07:23:45 UTC 2008

I have a minimal installation of CentOS, and I wanted to then install X
Windows and the GNOME desktop.  I then tried the following, which failed
on a dependency:

  $ yum -y groupinstall "X Window System" "GNOME Desktop Environment"

  --> Running transaction check
  ---> Package nautilus-sendto.i386 0:0.7-5.fc6 set to be updated
  --> Processing Dependency: libgaim.so.0 for package: nautilus-sendto
  ---> Package opensp.i386 0:1.5.2-4 set to be updated
  --> Finished Dependency Resolution
  Error: Missing Dependency: libgaim.so.0 is needed by package
nautilus-sendto

So GNOME appears to be missing some dependencies in the yum repository.
I finally gave up and installed KDE, which installed flawlessly:

  $ yum -y groupinstall "X Window System" "KDE (K Desktop Environment)"

I assume this is a bug with the GNOME packages (required dependency not
found).  Is this a CentOS issue, or an "upstream" issue?

Thanks,
Kenneth