[CentOS] regarding vpn server for 1500 clients

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Fri Dec 19 14:06:23 UTC 2008

Karanbir Singh schrieb:
> Dhaval Thakar wrote:
>
>> I prefer non-encryption vpn.
>> If I use openvpn, it will require more processing power than poptop.
>> I guess creating backup server might become difficult as it works on ssl
>> cert. cert created on server1 might not work with server2. Whereas in
>> poptop I need to copy single file (chap-secrets).
>>

> 1500 clients is quite a lot, but not hard to handle from a single
> machine if you select a cpu capable of doing ssl quickly. eg a power6
> machine with a few cores would handle that without any problems.

And what is the suggested RRP of such a thing?
(If one may ask).

> If you want to stick with commodity hardware, a couple of quad core
> amd's should also fit right in.

Or use an SSL-offloader.
Then, you can handle the same load with much less CPU-power.
Though, the throughput you need with 1500 users will already mandate a
pretty beefy server - at least concerning I/O.
Soekris, WRAP and Alix need not apply, I'm afraid....

Rainer