[CentOS] problem of apt

Dag Wieers dag at centos.org
Fri Dec 19 16:17:32 UTC 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, cjzjm100 wrote:

> Today the apt had a problem,here is the result:
> [cjzjm100 at localhost ~]$ sudo apt-get install
> nautilus-sendtoPassword:/var/lib/apt/lists/mrepo_rhel5s-i386_RPMS.os_repodata_repomd.xml:1: parser error : Start tag expected, '<' not found  ^apt-get: rpm/rpmindexfile.cc:645:std::string rpmRepomdIndex::IndexURI(std::string) const: “Res.size() > 0”failed.gave up.

You may want to report this to the apt mailinglist, though with a bit more
information (apt version, etc...)

But to me the error indicates that the repodata file either is empty or
not properly XML. Is it possible that the location of the repository
simply is wrong, or that you have permission problems on those files so
that they fail to be downloaded ?

Reporting this to the apt mailinglist may make apt provide a cleaner error
message, but if the cause is not within apt you will have to fix the cause
anyhow.

Kind regards,