[CentOS] regarding vpn server for 1500 clients

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Fri Dec 19 16:41:45 UTC 2008

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> The OP did not want security, only tunneling.

use simple PPPoE perhaps?

I still think I'd recommend Juniper SSLVPN appliance hardware however.
one of their midsized boxes can easily handle 1000s of sessions at wire
speeds up to 100baseT at the server side, and has really good
managability.  if these clients are in fact field offices, I'd instead
use one of their ipsec hardware appliances (such as whatever has
replaced the Netscreen 208) and put the baby version (netscreen 5xl) at
each site so its LAN to WAN connectivity, transparent to all clients..

1500 clients connected to this server, I do hope they are going to have
a high speed symmetric internet connection...   even 128kbps per user
and half the users active, thast still  10 megabit symmetric pretty much
saturated.