[CentOS] regarding vpn server for 1500 clients

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Dec 19 18:26:57 UTC 2008

on 12-19-2008 7:49 AM Ray Van Dolson spake the following:
>>> And what is the suggested RRP of such a thing?
>>> (If one may ask).
>> I am sure if you ask someone who sells them, they will tell you :D

>>> Or use an SSL-offloader.
>>> Then, you can handle the same load with much less CPU-power.
>> Can get fiddly, with specific drivers and patches required to various
>> bits.. But thats a solution that could work too.
>>

> To OP; anecdotal evidence only -- and I certainly wouldn't recommend
> using PPTP for a secure VPN solution :)  At my previous job we ran
> PoPToP (PPTP) on CentOS and the older HP DL140 G1 1U servers and were
> handling up to 1000 clients pretty comfortably per machine.  This was
> with 1GB of RAM per server and a single 2.4GHz Xeon processor.
>
> Left before we could migrate to OpenVPN which I think would have
> slightly higher processing requirements. :)
>
> Ray
If you could use a lower CPU intensive crypt like blowfish, it would be easier.

Are all these trading partners in different locations or are there semi large
groups in the same locations?
Maybe a hundred or so share an office, you could set up IPSec tunnels to each
remote office and pass all 100 through that tunnel. It takes a lot less CPU to
pass 100 combined then 100 separate connections.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and