[CentOS] Another security question

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 17:06:48 UTC 2008

Anne Wilson wrote:

>> Typically SSL secured sites will at least keep your login credentials safe.
>> However, someone can still see where you're going by sniffing your traffic.
>>
> That's not too much of a concern, if they can't read the actual packets.
>
>> If you're very concerned, setup an OpenVPN tunnel that routes all of your
>> traffic through it. Then, the only thing they'll see from the start is an
>> SSL connection to somewhere, and that's it.
>>
> That's probably the next step, then, but it sounds as though I needn't worry
> too much.  Thanks for answering

Your main worry on an open network is that someone would hack into your
system via ssh password-guessing or some remote vulnerability.  Wireless
  doesn't change this much except that there can be people you don't
expect connected with no additional firewall protection.

If someone gains root access to your system they can log unencrypted
keystrokes before the web browser encrypts them.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com