[CentOS] Security advice, please

jkinz at kinz.org jkinz at kinz.org
Wed Dec 24 19:20:12 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 09:43:19AM -0800, Bill Campbell wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008, jkinz at kinz.org wrote:
> >Top posting to ask a question regarding the article below:
> > the internet
>
> I always have my laptop with me,

An excellent strategy Bill.  I use it myself, but I explicitly excluded
it in my question. Why? because there are lots of scenarios in the world
where people won't be able to use their laptop or netbook and will have
to fall back on using someone else's equipment.

Two examples :
You are visiting the Otis Public Library in Norwich CT.  They have Linux
based public workstations (w/Internet access).
(http://www.otislibrarynorwich.org/index.htm)

Or you are a consultant visiting a corporate client who doesn't allow
"outside equipment" to be used on their network, so they maintain
specific machines for "guests" to use. (Hint, "DOD" )

(I have run into both of these. :-) )

example three - A TSA attendant "accidentally" drops your
laptop.. in front of a forklift... (Merry Christmas!)

All your ideas are good ones to which I would add using port knocking
(not perfect at all but adds an additional small barrier)

The best technique I have used is to put up an https web page
that requires the person desiring entry to be presented with a
challenge<->response dialog that is generated from a specific one-time
use pad of CR key pairs. That way, each session requires a unique
response to enable it.  This is awkward but help keep the unwanted
visitors out. This would be a variation on your SSL webmin
suggestion.

Unfortunately, the worst case scenario ( a compromised machine
that does key logging) which you pointed out, will always be a
potential problem..

So when on the road, perhaps we should restrict doing
online banking to just the cell phone.. :-)  hmm.......