[CentOS] Security advice, please

Thu Dec 25 22:52:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 6:18 AM, John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:
<snip>
>> I again offer you my "solution", which is to take with me "Live CDs"
>> for CentOS 5.2 and Knoppix. I reboot the box in an Internet cafe, from
>> a Live CD, do what I need/want to do, and when I am done, I remove the
>> Live CD and reboot the public box again. I have not installed anything
>> on their box and I am much safer, surfing, etc., on a public box.
>
> i'm quite surprised many such internet cafes would let you run your own
> software on their hardware.  many of the 'cafe' systems I've seen are
> booted off the network, or don't have CD drives, or could even be
> running Linux already, such as these
> http://www.dnalounge.com/backstage/src/kiosk/

I haven't done that often, but the few times I've done it, the boxes
had a DVD or CD drive and I was able to boot off the Live CD. Now that
I've read what you wrote, the next time I need to use a Public Box, I
will try to look at it, first, before I pay, to be sure there's a DVD
or CD drive to boot from!   :-)