[CentOS] yum cannot find bittorent rpm at dag

MHR mhullrich at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 20:23:53 UTC 2008

On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 11:22 AM, William L. Maltby
<CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com> wrote:

> I'm 386, but that shouldn't be all that different. Is it possible that
> bittorrent is only available as a 386 package?
>
> $ yum list installed \*torrent\*
> Loaded plugins: allowdowngrade, changelog, downloadonly, fastestmirror,
>              : fedorakmod, kernel-module, priorities, tsflags,
> versionlock
> Installed Packages
> bittorrent.noarch      4.4.0-1.el5.rf         installed
> bittorrent-gui.noarch  4.4.0-1.el5.rf         installed
> libtorrent.i386        0.12.0-1.el5.rf        installed
> rtorrent.i386          0.8.0-1.el5.rf         installed

This is what you'll see on a 32-bit machine - the bittorrent package
itself is a no-arch package, which means it doesn't care what the
underlying architecture is (translation: probably a scripting language
- shell, perl, python, etc.).  The 64-bit entries usually show only if
you are actually running a 64 bit machine.  There are also some
switches you can use that show more, but I'm not familiar with them
(DKDC :-).

> Note that the "protect=0" is needed for priorities to work.

This is only true if you have both the yum-protectbase and
yum-priorities plugins installed, in which case you should remove the
protectbase plugin - it is recommended that you _not_ run both
together.

HTH

mhr