[CentOS] How to change an executable into a directory

JohnS jses27 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 21:22:54 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 11:02 -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 30, 2008 at 10:54 AM, John <jses27 at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Maybe the file Header is Corrupted or you have the wrong file association
> > with then???
>
> Possibly, and I don't know how to do that other than a binary edit of
> the files (which _I_ didn't do...).
>
> > Did you try opening them with a browser exclusivly?
>
> I get "The file "chv81128_files" is of type application/octet-stream
> and SeaMonkey does not know how to handle this file type...."
>
> > Is the directory marked executable?
>
> No.
>
> > ls -l
>
> This was in my previous post which you quoted - they're -r--r--r.
>
> > Maybe they were saved in the wrong format?
>
> Could be, although I have saved hundreds of web pages like this and
> these are the first two to show up in this bizarre state.
>
> > Just a thought of explanations?

 Mark a another reply because it interests me because I use wget
massively to download sites that I don't have time to check out. The
file you have could be indeed an ELF file or a Script of some kind. Let
me explain:
Some webdevelopers like me use scrips so when a browser makes a call
to /site1/ it can actually be calling /site2/ and all your getting in
return is the exe script that calls the real web application to execute.
I have even had when using wget -r it not pulling in the whole site.
This same type of thing can be done on ftp servers. Basically it sort of
a Redirect script.
I sejust you stick it into a Virtual Machine and have at it so then it
is isolater from the underlying host os. Also the norobots.txt file can
affect wget and how it works.

JohnStanley