[CentOS] CD burning issues & questions

Wed Dec 31 23:08:26 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 1:27 PM, MHR <mhullrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been having some strange results trying to burn CDs under
> CentOS.  I don't think they are hardware related because I have had
> some success, in fact most of this usually works.
>
> I use k3b for most of my CD and DVD writing - it seems to work fairly
> well (well, except for wrecking my installation a few weeks ago when
> it crashed my installation and I had to reinstall to get it back, but
> that's old news).

I use k3b to burn CD-R and CD-RW media on my CentOS 5.2 (32 bit) box.
Does not have a DVD burner, so I can't speak to burning DVD media with
k3b. I do not see those issues. However, when I began having a variety
of problems with this box, about 2 weeks ago, one of the symptoms was
that k3b did not see media in the drive.  There were also other
symptoms, unrelated to k3b. Following my own advice, which I'd given
to someone on the list, I opened the box and pushed down on all the
connectors, RAM, etc. Poof..... All of the symptoms have gone away,
and stayed away, with the exception of the 4 Diagnostic Lights on the
motherboard are Yellow, undocumented, but apparently means mobo is
damaged.
Bottom line is I suggest that you open the box, and push down on all
the connectors, RAM, etc. GL & Happy New Year!