[CentOS] General questions about security

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Feb 1 08:14:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

I admit I never gave security that much thought, that is, except the
most basic security rules like choosing good passwords, or reasonable
file and directory permissions. But now I have to change that, since
I'll soon have to setup a dedicated production server for our public
libraries.

I wonder where to begin. I would say first thing is get a series of
"auditing" tools such as, for example, the port scanner nmap, to test
the firewall on the server. Any other ideas for that?

The firewall: CentOS includes a default firewall, where ports can be
chosen using a simple graphical (or ncurses) tool. Is that solid enough
for a web server? Or do you recommend diving into the innards of
iptables? Or maybe, other solution, can you recommend some good
"reasonable" set of rules for a web server, for example?

Last but not least: SELinux. For the moment I don't use it. I read the
chapter on SELinux in "Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Unleashed" by Tammy
Fox, and I simply wonder if it's worth the pain. I'm curious about your
opinions about this subject.

Maybe some good reads on security? That is, articles that don't require
you to be a doctor in computer science to get a grasp of the subject?
And also documentation that doesn't require me to have a life expectance
of 500+ years
:oD

Any suggestions?

Niki