[CentOS] Re: dhcp & squid

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Fri Feb 1 19:36:39 UTC 2008

on 2/1/2008 11:17 AM Gregory P. Ennis spake the following:
> On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 10:21 -0800, nate wrote:
>> Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
>>> Everyone,
>>>
>>> I have set up squid as a proxy http server in order to filter web access
>>> for an office that wants to block certain web sites.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to use the dhcpd server to assign the squid server and
>>> port number 3128 to each Linux desktop when they boot using the existing
>>> dhcpd server.  Or do I need to change each user's network preference
>>> setup in firefox.   The dhcpd server and squid are on the same server.
>> Have you considered setting up squid as a transparent proxy so all
>> HTTP requests go through it instead of configuring the clients to
>> use the proxy? It'd be more secure anyways considering not everything
>> has configuration to use a proxy.
>>
>> nate
>>
> Nate,
>
> Thanks for the suggestion... that was a much easier approach.  There
> were some previous posts in November of last year that had some good
> references.  I have everything working as I had hoped.
>
> I would still be interested to know if the dhcp servers could be used
> for this kind of thing.
>
> Greg
I know that windows machines won't pick up any option like this from DHCP. You
have to use the proxy.pac which I could never get working quite right from
anything but a microsoft proxy server. A transparent filter works better
anyway, as your users will have a harder time bypassing it.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and