[CentOS] cannot rewrite shadow password file

Michel van Deventer michel at van.deventer.cx
Fri Feb 1 19:53:54 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-02-01 at 17:29 +0100, Samuel Rochas wrote:
> Dear Michel,
>
> > Whatś the output of :
> > getenforce
> >
> Enforcing
>
> > ls -Z /etc/shadow
> >
> -r--------  root     root     system_u:object_r:shadow_t       /etc/shadow
>
> After running those commands, I can run passwd without errors (passwd:
> all authentication tokens updated successfully), but the password won't
> be changed.
>
> > might be an SELinux issue
> > If so, you can do a "restorecon /etc/shadow"
> >
> Did it, still can't update the password.
To completely rule out SELinux..
Do "setenforce 0"
try to change password
Please make sure that ALL fields are accounted for in the shadow file
and there are no line breaks!
As a final solution you can try to remove the password of root
completely (in runlevel 1), reboot, login as root and change the
password again.

	Regards,

	Michel van Deventer