[CentOS] Megraid SAS virtual disc question

Joseph L. Casale jcasale at ActiveNetwerx.com
Fri Feb 1 22:04:17 UTC 2008

>Not knowing how megaraid exports a virtual disk I'm not sure what
>LUN it might assign, or maybe it presents it as a new ID number
>instead of a new LUN.
>
>nate

Thanks for all that info! In this situation, I could unload and reload the driver but in future I won't be able to. Looking at that file gives me the following:

[root at host ~]# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3160812AS      Rev: 3.AA
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3160812AS      Rev: 3.AA
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi2 Channel: 02 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: LSI      Model: MegaRAID 8888ELP Rev: 1.12
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05

So I can see echo "scsi add-single-device 2 2 0 0" >/proc/scsi/scsi would have been what I needed, correct?
In the future once I start using this system I won't be able to reboot it, so I will get a handle on how this controller adds virtual discs.

Shame there isn't a way to simply rescan the bus without knowing what you are expecting:)

Thanks!
jlc