[CentOS] Re: kickstart question

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Sat Feb 2 21:21:29 UTC 2008

Jerry Geis wrote:

> 1) It could not find the mirror. Even though I'm running DHCP I would
> not resolve a name after
> switching to one of the character consoles.

I've read in the kickstart docs for RHEL5 that if your using DHCP
name resolution won't work in %post.  But in my experience it works
fine, not sure why. I don't use yum in %post but I run many commands
that require name resolution and they all succeed(when my systems
come up initially after kickstarting they email me their system
config and kickstart logs to verify it all worked fine). One thing
to note, all of the things I download in %post are internal host
names. It could be that for some bizarre reason only internet
domain names don't work in %post.

One workaround may be to specify all IPs in your yum configuration,
or put in /etc/host file entries, or manually assign name servers
by echo'ing them to resolv.conf before running yum commands. I
haven't tried any of these myself but in theory any of them should
do the trick.

> 2) root is still /mnt/sysimage. Do I need to change that by running
> chroot /mnt/sysimage before
> running the yum -y update

things run in %post are automatically put into a chroot so that
root is /.

At least it is for me in RHEL4/5 and CentOS 4/5/5.1 performing either
a PXE kickstart or kickstart off a CD(with everything else retrieved
from the network).

nate