[CentOS] Re: Monitor power save question

David G. Miller dave at davenjudy.org
Mon Feb 4 02:39:40 UTC 2008

"nate" <centos at linuxpowered.net> wrote:

> David G. Miller wrote:
>

>> > Section "Device"
>> >         Identifier  "Videocard0"
>> >         Driver      "vesa"
>> > EndSection
>>

> [..]
>

>> > and the video card is (this is a single card that shows up twice in lspci):
>> >
>> > 04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV516 [Radeon
>> > X1300/X1550 Series] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>>

> any particular reason why your using the vesa driver on what seems to
> be a fairly recent ATI card instead of the ATI specific drivers? Perhaps
> the vesa driver doesn't work as well with power management(never used it
> myself for very long).
>
> I'd try the ATI drivers and see if it fixes the behavior, you'll probably
> get much better performance at the same time, with perhaps a bit less
> stability depending on what you do.
>
> nate
It's what the install configurator came up with and the ati driver
doesn't work with this video card (output from startx):

(WW) RADEON: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:4:0:1) found
(WW) R128: No matching Device section for instance (BusID PCI:4:0:1) found
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

I like getting a new install stable and fully functional with open
source drivers before introducing perturbations like using a proprietary
display driver.  That being said, I just installed the ATI proprietary
driver.  So far the system is stable.  I'll see whether the monitor
correctly goes to a low power mode tonight.

Cheers,
Dave

-- Ambrose Bierce