[CentOS] cpu type

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Sun Feb 3 20:36:28 UTC 2008

On Sunday 03 February 2008 12:12:49 Steve Searle wrote:
> Around 12:06pm on Sunday, February 03, 2008 (UK time), Jimmy Bradley
scrawled:
> > and open it up to find out. Is there a command entered by way of the
> > terminal window that will tell me what kind of cpu I have? I want to say
> > that it's an AMD sempron 3000+, but I'm not sure.
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> Steve

This command tells you what CPU you are running, but not what CPU the
motherboard is capable of tacking. That depends on the type of CPU socket is
on the motherboard and sometimes the BIOS revision. When the machine boots up
and displays the bios screen it should display a longish line of letters and
text at the bottom or top of the screen, (in between the memory / hard drive
info). Make a note of it and do a Google search on it will give you the
motherboards manufacturer and bios revision. If the board is out of a HP, Del
or other branded manufacturer then you can use software to interrogate the
motherboard and bios to get this info. I don't know of any Linux commands to
do this though.

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)