[CentOS] Strong security in user's accounts and paswords..

Mark Van Bogart mark.vanbogart at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 14:13:32 UTC 2008

I'm running RHEL 4.6 and am using the features you are looking to
implement.  PAM is the direction to look.   I have included my
/etc/pam.d/system-auth file as example:

#%PAM-1.0
# This file is auto-generated.
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_env.so
#       The following was added on 12-Apr-06 to count failed password
and "su" attempts
auth    required        /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so onerr=fail no_magic_root
#       End of changes
auth        sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok
auth        required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
#       The following was added on 12-Apr-06 to count failed password
and "su" attempts
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_tally.so per_user
deny=3 no_magic_root reset
#       End of changes
account     sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_succeed_if.so uid < 100 quiet
account     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_permit.so

#password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
#password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
minlen=10 ucredit=-2 lcredit=-2 dcredit=-2 ocredit=-2 difok=3
#  Changed to 15 character length password
password    requisite     /lib/security/$ISA/pam_cracklib.so retry=3
minlen=15 ucredit=-2 lcredit=-2 dcredit=-2 ocredit=-2 difok=3
# Remember the last 15 passwords
password    sufficient    /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so nullok
use_authtok md5 shadow remember=15
password    required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so

session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_limits.so
session     required      /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so
~

I haven't dealt with this for a while so there my be other changes
required.  This should be a start for a search with your favorite
search engine.