[CentOS] Large RAID volume issues

Ross S. W. Walker rwalker at medallion.com
Mon Feb 4 18:23:45 UTC 2008

Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Feb 2008 at 11:56am, Ross S. W. Walker wrote
>
> > You can't use an MBR partition table on a volume that large
> there is a
> > max 2TB disk size limit and 2TB partition size limit for
> MBR, so you
> > must use GPT.
>
> For completeness' sake, MBR=master boot record, not a
> partition table.
> The standard type of partition table is msdos.  And, yes, it
> cannot handle
> devices >2TiB.

Yes, MBR is the master boot record, it contains the boot loader
and the partition table for the primary partitions (the extended
partitions table is kept in the first sector of the primary
partition marked as the extended partitions container). The only
partition table type that can be kept in the MBR is the msdos or
bios partition table, so when one talks MBR one typically talks
msdos partition table.

A GPT partition table is kept further in disk, but it also keeps
a "compatibility" MBR for BIOS based systems including a GPT
boot loader in the MBR to read and boot the GPT table. EFI based
systems don't use the MBR as they read the GPT table directly, and
have the boot-loader built-in so one will not likely see an MBR on
a pure EFI based system.

> > There is a real lack of reliable and easy GPT tools under
> Linux, parted
> > can read GPT partition tables, but I do not believe it can
> create them
> > AFAIK.
>
> Incorrect.  parted has no issue creating and managing gpt disklabels.

Good to know, last I used parted it was only able to "read" GPT tables
not create or modify them.

-Ross