[CentOS] Re: Install on two discs with Software Raid and LVM

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Feb 4 22:56:50 UTC 2008

on 2/4/2008 2:43 PM Joseph L. Casale spake the following:
>> Create a swap lv in the vg you created out of /dev/md1, assuming /dev/md0 is /boot.
>>
>> -Ross
>
> Oh, I thought it wasn’t good to run swap inside software raid? If I was wrong,
I assume this is beneficial since if one of the HD’s tanks while its running,
it will survive the failure and not need to reboot?

> Thanks!
> jlc
That is an old assumption from the infancy of software raid, less than optimal
  installed ram, and slower processors. When ram was expensive, you used more
swap because it was cheaper. But ram is so much cheaper now that it make no
sense to run a machine that needs to touch swap except in an emergency.
--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and