[CentOS] system gets suspended automatically!

Chandra

shekharc.2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 07:31:57 UTC 2008

Hello!

I am running CentOS-5 with latest kernel available by deault (2.6.23).
I installed it on a Dell XPS machine having Intel Quad processors (4
parallel cpus). I use it to run a computational program and I need to
keep the program running for 1-2 months continuously. I generally boot
it in runlevel-3 with network ON without X and use ssh from another
machine to connect and run the program using the "nohup" utility.

However, the system automatically gets suspended (the computational
program stops, ssh stops working, whole the OS seems to be freezing)
after 4-5 hours. I have stopped the "acpid" daemon and boot the kernel
with "acpi=off" option in "grub.conf" but no help. The kernel log (
/var/log/messages) doesn't show anything special. After the instant of
suspension, kernel also stops logging into "/var/log/messages".

Please help me out. I think there is a kernel problem. I have run
programs for days and days continuously using FC5 (which had older
kernel). I can't use FC5 or older version of CentOS because I need
GCC-4.1.2+ to compile parallel OpenMP program.

Thank you,

Chandra