[CentOS] RPM for perl-svn-notify?

Jay Leafey jay.leafey at mindless.com
Wed Feb 6 18:19:53 UTC 2008

J. Potter wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Is it possible to get an rpm built and added into the plus or dag repos
> for the perl module svn-notify? (Note: not the same as svn-notify-mirror.)
>
> I know it's been brought up before that perl's internal CPAN
> build/install can cause serious conflicts with the rpm-based approach;
> if there are other / better ways of doing this in a standard fashion,
> please let me know.

Installing Perl modules modules via CPAN makes them "invisible" to RPM,
which can lead to a whole lot of fun!  I think this is generally
referred to as "a bad thing" around here.

If I can't find an RPM for a Perl module on one of the third-party
repositories, I usually use cpanflute2 to build an RPM, then install
that.  That way RPM knows all about the module and can handle it
appropriately.

You need to install the perl-RPM-Specfile package from rpmforge to make
this work.  Next download (BUT DO NOT INSTALL) the tarball for the
module in question from CPAN.  The last step is to run cpanflute2
against the tarball to generate the SRPM and then use "rpmbuild
--rebuild" to create the installable RPM.  You can use cpanflute2 with
the '--arch=' and '--buildall' switches to create the appropriate
installable RPM directly, but I usually install the SRPM file, tweak the
specfile to taste, and build the installable RPM from that.

There is some documentation out on the net for using this tool, but I
don't have any links handy so fire up your browser and start hitting
Google for more info!

Your mileage may vary!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN