[CentOS] Samba GUI interface

Bill Campbell centos at celestial.com
Wed Feb 6 19:34:58 UTC 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008, Craig White wrote:

>On Wed, 2008-02-06 at 14:18 -0500, Dean Maluski wrote:
>> CentOS 5.1
>> I was just trying to add users and shares to Samba from GUI interface.
>> I've already added users from command line.
>> Regardless, when I go to select users the existing users is blank.
>> When I add a user if it already exists I get a complaint that user
>> exists. If I add a new user from GUI it does not get added to the blank
>> list.
>> OK I just added a user from gui, applied it [HIT OK]
>> went back and tried to add user again but when hitting [OK] complained
>> that user exists. Seems things are working except listing existing users
>> in interface.
>> I can live with this but I'm about to upgrade a server at work and
>> ultimately I was hoping my Windows Sys Admin could manage to
>> administrate Samba. I don't think this will be possible without a GUI.
>----
>personally, I've found webmin to be useful (not part of standard
>packaging but is in dag repository) http://www.webmin.com
>
>Webmin can be configured to add posix/samba users at same time and/or
>convert posix users to samba users

I prefer using swat on port 901 for most samba configuration,
largely because it has excellent on-line help to explain the
multitude of options available.

Bill

The cry has been that when war is declared, all opposition should
therefore be hushed.  A sentiment more unworthy of a free country could
hardly be propagated.  If the doctrine be admitted, rulers have only to
declare war and they are screened at once from scrutiny ...  In war,
then, as in peace, assert the freedom of speech and of the press.
Cling to this as the bulwark of all our rights and privileges.
		-- William Ellery Channing