[CentOS] Seamonkey (with plugins) as Firefox replacement?

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Thu Feb 7 11:59:57 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm running CentOS 5.1 with the GNOME desktop in all our public
libraries around here. I start from a minimal install stripped down to
the bones, install X11, GNOME, and then one application per task. I try
to follow some best-of-the-breed logic, and my focus lies on robustness
to avoid the Tamagotchi syndrome :o)

Recently I've been rather disappointed with Mozilla Firefox, which
crashes more and more often (this has already been developed elsewhere
on this list).

On one of my machines, I'm running Slackware Linux 12.0, with an XFCE
desktop and the latest Mozilla Seamonkey browser. This browser gives me
entire satisfaction: light on RAM, fast, and (almost) never crashes. So
the idea is simple: install Seamonkey instead of Firefox.

Now I'd like to integrate things cleanly, not install it additionally to
Firefox. My main concern now are plugins, namely Flash (flash-plugin)
and MPlayer (mplayerplug-in, never knew why that hyphen wandered off
:o)). I'd like to do things cleanly, so I have a vague idea. Tell me if
this sounds reasonable:

1) Install Seamonkey from latest SRPM.
2) Install flash-plugin from SRPM, but modify the .spec file so it
depends on Seamonkey instead of Firefox.
3) Do the same thing with the MPlayer plugin.
4) (I never succeeded to install the Java plugin, I guess I'll leave
that for after I'm dead :o/ )

Eventually, create my own repo with the resulting RPMS, and define
priorities for Yum so that my own packages are used first.

Sounds feasible? Or does someone have a better suggestion?

Cheers,

Niki