[CentOS] 64 bit and 32 bit are mixed up

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Thu Feb 7 13:34:47 UTC 2008

Jim Perrin wrote:
> On Feb 7, 2008 7:57 AM, Centos <centos at unixplanet.biz> wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> I have installed Centos 5.1 on 64 bit servers, and I see some of the
>> packages have been installed two times,
>> one for i386 and one for 64 bits. I don't know why i386 packages can be
>> installed on 64 bit machine and why they
>> should come together, even some times when I am searching yum repository
>> , I see i386 and x64
>> packages. shouldn't the search result depend on server architecture ?
>
> For pure environments, yes. However there's an exceptionally large
> number of folks who want to run 32bit applications on 64bit systems.
> For this to work, some 32bit packages are required, which is why
> you're seeing what you're seeing.

I would also like to point out that we just copy which i[3,6]86 RPMS
that the upstream people put into the x86_64 tree to make the filelists
the same as upstream.

While I personally would rather have them separate, our GOAL is to
provide an experience that is as close as possible to upstream ... SO :-)

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes