[CentOS] Security help desperately needed - more info

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 14:03:02 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008 13:53, Milton Calnek wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> >  --------------------- samba Begin ------------------------
> >

> >  WARNING!!!!!!
> >  Errors when creating subnets:
> >     No subnets to listen to. Shutting down. : 1 Time(s)
>
> Hmmm... let's see your smb.conf.

[global]
        workgroup = LYDGATE.LAN
        server string = Samba Server Version %v
        interfaces = lo, eth0, 192.168.0.0/24
        map to guest = Bad User
        passdb backend = tdbsam				# See comment below
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        log file = /var/log/samba/%m.log
        max log size = 50
        acl compatibility = winnt
        server signing = auto
        os level = 66
        preferred master = No					# needs changing to yes
        domain master = No
        ldap ssl = no
        guest ok = Yes
        hosts allow = 127., 192.168.0.
        cups options = raw

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        read only = No
        browseable = No

[printers]
        comment = All Printers
        path = /var/spool/samba
        printable = Yes
        browseable = No

[DATA1]
        path = /Data1/
        read only = No

[DATA2]
        path = /Data2
        read only = No

[DATA3]
        path = /Data3/
        valid users = anne, gillian, david
        read only = No

[DOWNLOADS]
        path = /home/anne/Downloads
        read only = No

[LYDGATE DESIGN]
        path = /Data1/LydgateDesign/
        read only = No

[ANNE]
        path = /home/anne/
        read only = No
        guest ok = No
        case sensitive = No
        strict locking = No
        msdfs proxy = yes

I normally keep a minimal smb.conf, hand-edited.  My LAN is a simple home one,
no domain.  This looks as though it was created through a gui - I believe I
did examine it in kcontrol, so that's probably the reason.  I don't recognise
the passdb-backend line.  I use smb-passwd and have never had a line like
that before.  Is it correct?

Anne