[CentOS] Security help desperately needed - more info

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 7 15:58:00 UTC 2008

On Thursday 07 February 2008 14:34, Milton Calnek wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:

> >> Hmmm... let's see your smb.conf.
> >
> > [global]
> >         workgroup = LYDGATE.LAN
> >         server string = Samba Server Version %v
> >         interfaces = lo, eth0, 192.168.0.0/24
> >         map to guest = Bad User
> >         passdb backend = tdbsam				# See comment below
> >         username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
> >

> > I normally keep a minimal smb.conf, hand-edited.  My LAN is a simple home
> > one, no domain.  This looks as though it was created through a gui - I
> > believe I did examine it in kcontrol, so that's probably the reason.  I
> > don't recognise the passdb-backend line.  I use smb-passwd and have never
> > had a line like that before.  Is it correct?
>
> I think the passdb is fine.  It means that the samba server keeps it's
> own password file.
>
> I didn't see anything obvious.
>
> Does testparm tell you anything?

Nothing at all.  The above was taken from a testparm output.

> What happens when you try to use smbclient?
> smbclient //localhost/ANNE -U anne

Password:
Domain=[BORG2] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.0.25b-1.el5_1.4]
smb: \>

Part way through the morning I rebooted the server and samba has performed
since then.  I suspect SELinux problems.  I had tried to implement it
yesterday, then switched it out while troubleshooting.  I forgot that SELinux
is one thing that really needs a reboot.  I'm going to try to get the
firewall working satisfactorily first, before tackline SELinux again.

Anne